What is Yoga?
The term “Yoga” literally means Union. People have their own version of what Yoga means to them individually. But people still wonder what exactly is Yoga? Does it have something to do with Spirituality? Does it have something to do with Religion? Or is it an entirely different Philosophy altogether that only a few manage to master? Despite the doubts, people still consider Yoga as a reliable source of energy in their day-to-day lives and choose to practise it regularly.
The health benefits of Yoga are immense. There have been several examples from around the globe. Any issue concerning your health in any way can be controlled. And in some cases- entirely cured! In this hustle-bustle of life, it is surprising to know how Yoga can actually prove to be extremely beneficial for one’s mental health as well.
Acknowledging all the facts here can convince one how beneficial Yoga actually is. And to make this better, here are some points on how Yoga helps one with better health.
Yoga and Health Benefits-
Let us take a look at Yoga and its several health benefits-
- Yoga and Pranayam provides relief in ailment of any kind. From controlling anxiety, stress, depression, fatigue, heart disease, obesity, asthma, blood pressure, backache to weakness of any kind- Yoga can help control all of these ailments and bring you back to your feet all fit and better.
- Yoga can help an underweight gain a few kilos and an obese person shed a few kilos.
- Apart from the physical and mental cleansing, Yoga will help you attain a healthy, toned and flexible body that will help you stay balanced in life.
- Yoga helps in posture improvement. By practicing asanas like Utkatasana, Bala-asana, Gomukhasana, Bhujangasana regularly, one can notice their posture getting better in a few months.
- Yoga helps people with lower pulse rate, respiratory rate and blood pressure.
- One can experience an improved sleep cycle by practising Yoga as it releases tension for people with anxiety and stress disorders.
- One can improve and rejuvenate their immune system by practising asanas like Matsya-asana, Pranayama and Uttanasana.
- Yoga helps with a better cardiovascular efficiency by lowering any sort of risk factors.
- Yoga also helps with better dexterity, eye-hand coordination and balance.
- By regularly practising Yoga, one can experience a better attention, concentration, learning and memory. This happens because Yoga releases all the stress from within you and calms your mind and therefore, that’s how one is able to concentrate better in life.
Yoga health benefits as we have seen are immense and help you in the long run. It indeed is a slow process and one has to be really patient to notice the changes. But, if practised regularly, Yoga can help rejuvenate your mind, body and soul. One can function better in their lives by simply practicing Yoga for at least half an hour a day. The changes will be felt and seen in a few months, but the patience will be worth it.
Yoga has been a traditional practice and is a part of our identity. Therefore, it is essential for us to carry on this tradition for the generations ahead. Presently, Yoga is practised globally. Since 2015, the 21st of June of every year is celebrated as International Day of Yoga across the globe. This shows how effective Yoga has been throughout the world. According to the International Yoga Federation, around 300 million people practise Yoga around the world simply because of how effective it is for them.
After all, it is said very aptly, “A healthy mind lives in a healthy body.”